Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 10 Old and New in London

Always start out with a great breakfast. It really is the cornerstone of the day especially on vacation. Fresh fruit, eggs, croissant and real English coffee is how I begin my day. Afterwards, we purchase tickets for "The Original Bus Tour" which takes us all around the city and allows us to get on and off the bus as often as we like. We sit upstairs of the double decker bus and enjoy every moment of the sites and the tour guide's goofy jokes.

First stop: Tower of London - I love walking around to see the Crown Jewels and the Armory. Walking along the cobblestones with the sun shining makes it even better. I imagine life 400 years before as players walk around dressed in costumes from that time period and act out scenes. So many of us take photos and video of these characters and I laugh for a moment as I look at the crowd holding up their iPhones, cameras, iPads, etc. The mix of times periods is so extreme that I find it difficult to imagine life without so many of the luxuries we take for granted.

Second stop: Piccadilly - With the London marathon scheduled for tomorrow the city is so crowded making Piccadilly really a circus. Great weather adds to the enormous amount of tourists and locals enjoying the weekend. We have lunch at a local restaurant and shop for some souvenirs.

After a brief rest back at the hotel, we head out again to see "Singing In The Rain" at the Palace Theater. Having seen "Matilda the Musical" the night before, I am struck by how American this show is and how long I have been away from home. The show is incredible, the dancers embody the 1920's and I am sure Gene Kelly is smiling down at the brilliance and joy of the cast actually singing in the rain during the live performances. Watching the show is a good reminder of how far we have come technologically. Silent movies were the rage 100 years ago and "talkies" didn't even exist and today our kids can watch movies in our cars or anywhere on portable personal computers.

Today was about old and new and I loved every minute.

























No comments:

Post a Comment