Thursday, April 18, 2013

Day 8 Last Day in Israel: Footsteps on Masada

Pictures may have to express what I am not sure I can put into words. Our last day in Israel is spent at Masada. Twelve of us (six adults and six kids) travel by bus to tour this extraordinary site. Earlier in the trip we had seen the King Herod exhibit at the Israel Museum and now we are going to walk in his footsteps. The weather is gorgeous and the view is absolutely spectacular. As we begin to walk around Masada, I am overwhelmed with the fact that three generations of my family are standing at the top of this important piece in Jewish history. The three of us have had an incredible time on this trip, but this is a joyous moment for me. My mother walks with us for as long as she can and then waits for us to finish the tour. She chooses just the right moment because immediately following is a trek down into a cistern.

Later on the tour we see what had been a synagogue. As everyone leaves, I step back inside to say a prayer for a friend's father. There is something about being in a place that is old and sacred that gives me some hope and faith.

We then take the kids to the Dead Sea. Watching 12-year-olds try this new experience is comical. We watch as our kids play, find humor in just about everything and laugh until we cry. As we travel back to modern day, we enter Jerusalem at sunset and witness the most beautiful red sun I have ever seen. The picture is blurry, but it is incredible and we all know that this day is special. We wonder if we should say a prayer, but instead we are all silently aware of the gratitude we feel for being together.



























1 comment: