Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 5 - Part 2: Yom Haatzmaut in Tel Aviv

As I write this post, I am watching the news about the attack on the Boston Marathon. As of now, 2 killed and 23 injured. It is weird that I am in Israel hearing this news. My heart goes out to everyone in Boston. And on a night that we celebrate Independence Day here in Israel.

The past 24 hours in Israel are the saddest of the year and are followed by the most joyous. Our host family invites us over before the celebration which gives us a rare opportunity to share our lives. Perhaps I expect us to be different, but we are very similar - parents who love their children and worry about them too. We talk about our common interests, the kids, education, Jewish practice and music.

And then off to the big celebration with their community. The outpouring of hospitality by all the Magen families is extremely kind. The night is way beyond any celebration I have seen in the states - a BBQ picnic on steroids. Music, kids running around spraying each other with foam, so much food, fireworks and kind faces are what I will remember from this evening. My spirit is truly lifted and I feel deeply connected.

So again, I pray for those in Boston tonight. I am sad for those who lost their lives, those who are injured and the entire community who simply wanted to run in their historic marathon.


No comments:

Post a Comment