Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 6 Celebrating with New Friends

What I find extraordinary about our cultural twinning program are the moments that we get to share Israeli life with our hosts. In celebration of Yom Haatzmaut, our hosts invite us to join them for their holiday celebrations.

Party #1: We enter a beautiful home and are immediately greeted by its owner, an American and her Israeli husband. They are so happy to have American guests and their friends are equally kind and welcoming. As I begin to meet the other guests (which are a mix of transplanted Americans and Israelis) I find connections through work and friendship. I am shocked by how easy it is to find connections. Jewish Geography is so fun when you are so far from home. Our host welcomes all of us and we take a moment to think of those in Boston. A delicious home cooked BBQ is served and for a moment it feels as though I am at home.

Party #2: Imagine your best outdoor party with about 50 men, women, children, all ages, and in someway you are related to them. This is the experience I had this afternoon. This family tradition started about 40 years ago with a few families coming together to celebrate this brand new country. The children of these families have all grown up and have families of their own. In one area, some men and kids are playing soccer. In another area, women create 4 different talking circles. While we are there, they serve incredible homemade fancy desserts. While there is a bit of a challenge at this party due to my lack of Hebrew, the host makes a special effort to make us feel welcome and to say (in English) the party is extra special because we are there. I think my heart actually skipped a beat with this show of kindness. Our 12 year old host translates an entire presentation that is given and she did it naturally without me asking. No one wants us to feel left out.

By the time we left, we have spent six hours with our hosts and I have enjoyed every moment. My mother and I comment later that we are so happy to have shared this holiday with our Israeli friends. When July 4th comes around this year I will take a more serious view of what we are actually celebrating and hope to infuse some new meaning into our BBQ and fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment