Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mid-Air

Half way through the flight I get a urge to write. I am in a weird space, high above the clouds and I feel I am nowhere. I was looking forward to the long flight from Los Angeles to Israel because it would be the first time in weeks that I would have 13 hours to myself and nothing to do. Yes, I brought books and there are movies, but between work, getting my daughter packed and getting myself packed and ready, I felt like a freight train with no stops. But now I have time to stop.

This is my first vacation to Israel. 100% personal and with great meaning as I am traveling with my mother and my daughter. If I think too much about it, I am overcome with emotion.

I have an excitement about this trip that reminds of an earlier time. When I was younger I used to love to travel - business or vacation - I loved the energy at the airport. People coming and going, so many different stories, some happy, some sad. The fast pulse of it all pulled me in.

Then 9/11 changed everything and excitement turned to fear, restrictions, less smiles and less interaction. Everything at the airport seemed harder and all I wanted to do was get out and get to my destination.

While some of the anxiety is still felt and may never go away, I am smiling with anticipation for this trip. Driving to the airport this week reminded me of the joy and thrill of travel. I look around on the flight and wonder where are they going? What is their story? What adventures will I have?

And I am grateful to have these feelings again. That flutter of excitement makes me so happy and what a way to begin this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment