Saturday, April 13, 2013

Day 3 History of Jerusalem 101 and Hello Tel Aviv

I am in overload from all the information I absorbed today. I hope most of it actually sticks. My mother and I were so pleased with our guide yesterday, we hired him for another day. So worth it. When he picks us up at 10:00am, we strategize for a bit to determine what would be most enjoyable for our last day in Jerusalem. So here it goes...

Charles, our guide, begins with two stops at viewpoints and he shares with us the history of Jerusalem and it is incredible to look at the spectacular view and hear stories of Kings and Crusaders, Jews, Christians and Muslims, archeology and architecture. My mother and I eagerly ask questions and are amazed at what this small city has survived.

Next, we go to one of my favorite places, the Israel Museum. We are lucky enough to be here for the King Herod exhibit which you should see if you are in Israel. Remembering our King Herod lesson from Caesarea, we feel a bit knowledgeable as we walk though the exhibit. We can't believe some his stories. Learning about life through the objects that were found, is like watching someone put a great puzzle together. That puzzle maker is the late Professor Ehud Netzer who dedicated his life to finding the tomb of King Herod. This exhibit is the success of that work. Professor Netzer sadly died from a fall on one of the excavation sites. No joke, he died in the site. A must see! We also saw the model city of Jerusalem, the Dead Sea Scrolls and another great exhibit, the saved synagogues for around the world. Seriously, a must see when you are in Jerusalem.

And then off to Tel Aviv. Beautiful drive, no traffic, and I even got a nap. We arrive in Tel Aviv, relax for a bit, and then take a walk to the Tel Aviv Port. Weather is perfect, sunset is gorgeous and food, well, not the best choice, but my mom and I sat for 2 hours enjoying our conversation and the opportunity to sit down for a nice relaxing dinner.

Checked in with Maddy and now time for bed...eyes are actually closing as I type.







2 comments: